12/28/08

I Just Want to Get This Best Albums of the Year Thing Done.

I realized it would be exhausting to write up all the really good stuff I heard this year. Also, I am unbelievably lazy. So besides the Silver Jews and Magnetic Fields, here were the best I heard:
Beach House- Devotion
Beach House- Gila
More droney, pretty organ pop from one of the best young bands around.
Bonnie "Prince" Billy- Lie Down in the Light
Bonnie "Prince" Billy- So Everyone (Demo)
People flipped for Fleet Foxes, yet pretty much slept on this album. Yeah, they're different, but they both explore old Americana styles. Billy just doesn't feel like he has to sound like My Morning Jacket.
Deerhunter- Microcastle

Atlas Sound- Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See but Cannot Feel
Atlas Sound- River Card
Even with its ambient/computer instrumental bits, the album is an honest work with great songs. And really, if you don't like the instrumentals, there's always the Deerhunter album.
The Walkmen- You & Me

Unlike everyone else, I liked A Hundred Miles Off. I like this subdued, less messy album a lot, too.
Unicornicopia- Grace, You're a Dear
Unicornicopia- Before There Were Oceans
A one woman musical about Jesus, heartbreak, and laying in bed with your mom when you're sick.
of Montreal- Skeletal Lamping
of Montreal- Id Engager
A brilliant album that pushes of Montreal's aesthetic to its edge and intersperses ear worm choruses, noise, and sex into one day glow dance party.
My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges
My Morning Jacket- Touch Me, I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2
Lots of people found this album bland, but I found the mix of country rock, Prince, and straight up pop hard to resist.
Murs- Sweet Lord (I have Murs for President, I just haven't listened to it yet)
Click here for the whole album
I love Murs. I love 9th Wonder. They get together for a FREE album that is on par with 3:16 and Murray's Revenge. The summerest of albums.
Micah P. Hinson- Micah P. Hinson And The Red Empire Orchestra
Micah P. Hinson- We Won't Have to Be Lonesome
Hinson is amazing. I don't really know what to say about this album, I guess just listen to it. New Country Romantic.

Stay tuned because later I'll share my pick for album of the year.

No comments: